When comes summer, I start craving salads. I really like the freshness of raw vegetables and yes all the sauces you can accompany those salads with! However, eating just raw vegetables is boring and I really think a proper salad should be colorful, nourishing and full of taste.
This recipe requires a little bit of organization as the chickpeas need about 12 hours of soaking. But, you can definitely cook the falafel and prepare the sauce ahead and just put the salad together right before eating. For me, it’s perfect after a long training day when I want something that feels really light but flavorful – and as a bonus nutritious.
For the falafels
- 140g dried chickpeas
- 40g sun-dried tomatoes – if in oil like mine drain them very well
- 1 smallish onion
- 1 big spring onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- chili to taste – or not at all
- 2 heaping tablespoon thai basil – a more traditional herb would be coriander
- 1 pinch of 4 spices
- Optional – 15g to 40g breadcrumbs – If the mixture looks too runny
For the sauce
- 50g tahini
- 1 lemon juice
Fro the salad
- 2 handfulls lettuce torned
- 1 handfull arugula
- 3 carrots grated
- 1 cucumber sliced
- the green part of 2 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper diced
[recipe-directions title=”What should you do”
- The day before soak your chickpeas in plenty of water. You want to let them soak for at least 12 hours and up to 24. We are going to blend them raw so soaking is crucial.
- You can also prepare the sauce the day before. In a bowl, mix the tahini and the lemon juice. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit of water. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover it and put in the fridge.
- Once the chickpeas are well soaked. In a food processor, add all the falafel ingredients except the breadcrumbs. Mix well until you obtain a paste. If your mixture if not enough paste like, feel free to add the breadcrumbs.
- Shape the mixture into small patty. Put in the fridge 2 hours.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan. Cook each side of the patty until golden brown. In alternative, you can cook them in the oven 20 minutes at 180C or 350F.
- Serves with the salad topped with the tahini sauce.
Get creative with the salad part! Any combination of your favorite seasonal vegetables will be great. Enjoy!